Monday, March 30, 2009

Broccoli Cheese Soup

Another one from my mother-in-law, and of course, it is the best!

Broccoli Cheese Soup

2 Tbsp. butter
3/4 cup chopped onion

Cook in large pot until onions are tender and clear.

Add:

6 cups water
6 chicken bouillon cubes

Heat to boil and add:

12 oz. twisty noodles
1 tsp. salt

Cook for a few minutes, then add:

broccoli (my mother-in-law uses two 10 oz. pkgs. of frozen broccoli and I use a head or two of fresh broccol--only the florets)
1 tsp. garlic powder

Cook 5 minutes with lid on pot, then add:

6 cups whole milk (I have used skim and others before, but whole is best)
2 lbs. Velveeta cheese, cubed

Cook until melted, stirring frequently. Add a teaspoon (or less, if you prefer) of pepper (white or black).

Serve hot with bread or rolls (orange rolls are a nice combo--salty and sweet) and a garden salad.



1 comment:

Lindsay Mama to Nine said...

YUMMMMM!!!
I can't WAIT TO TRY THIS!!!
Thanks!