Monday, November 2, 2009

Chicken Salad

I received this recipe from a friend back when we lived in Phoenix. She served it at a party and I immediately fell in love with it. It reminded me of when I was a little girl and we went to listen to General Conference at church. Afterward, we had a picnic on the church lawn and my grandma Martha served us chicken salad. I thought I was in heaven.

Chicken Salad

3 oz. (1 cup) uncooked radiatore pasta (I used rotini this time, since it was all I had on hand)
1 1/2 cups cooked, cubed chicken
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sliced celery (I omitted this)
1 cup grapes (red and/or green) cut in half
1/2 cup mandarin oranges, drained (cut in half, if desired)
1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted (I add a smidge more)
1/2 cup mayonnaise (Best Foods is best)
1 tablespoon finely chopped green onion
1/2 cup whipping cream whipped --NO sugar (I omitted this)

I also added half of a Gala apple diced small into the mix.

Cook pasta according to directions. Drain and rinse with cold water. In a large bowl combine all ingredients, except whipped cream (if using). Toss well. Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours to blend flavors. Just before serving, fold in whipping cream (if using). Goes great with croissants or any kind of roll. Store leftovers in fridge.

1 comment:

abby said...

i love the story behind this recipe. :)