Sunday, February 15, 2009

Honey Whole Wheat Bread

This is my favorite homemade whole wheat bread:

Honey Wheat Bread

1 packet active dry yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons--though I usually do about 3 teaspoons)
2 cups warm water
1/3 cup honey or molasses (I use molasses)
2 tablespoons soft shortening (I use butter)
2 teaspoons salt
5 1/2 to 6 cups whole wheat flour (I use about 5 scant cups)

In a mixing bowl place ingredients in order given, except the flour. Add flour gradually to make a stiff dough. Knead on a well-floured surface until smooth and satiny (8-10 minutes). Place in greased bowl (I use Pam). Cover; let rise in warm place until doubled (1 1/2 to 2 hours).

Divide in half; shape into balls. Cover with bowl; let rest 15 minutes. Shape into loaves. Place into well-greased (Pam) 9 X 5 or 8 X 4-inch pans. Cover and let rise until light and double (about 1 hour).

Bake at 375 degrees F for 30 to 35 minutes or until a deep, golden brown. Remove from pans and let cool on wire racks.

No comments: