Sunday, February 15, 2009

Mexican Wedding Cookies

My husband's favorite cookie:

Mexican Wedding Cookies

2 1/2 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup finely chopped pecans
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract (I only use 1)
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar

In a bowl stir together flour, salt, and pecans to combine thoroughly; set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a mixing bowl combine butter and a 1/2 cup of the powdered sugar; beat until fluffy. Blend in vanilla. Gradually add flour mixture, beating just until dough clings together.

Shape into 1 1/2 inch balls. Place about 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake until firm and lightly browned (20 to 25 minutes).

Spread about 3/4 cup of the remaining powdered sugar on a rimmed baking sheet. As cookies finish baking, remove them to the sugar-lined baking sheet; generously sift some of remaining powdered sugar over warm cookies, turning in sugar if necessary to coat all surfaces liberally. Transfer to wire racks to cool completely.

3 comments:

Lindsay Mama to Nine said...

Thanks for the link Wendy !!! This all looks soo awesome...these cookies are one of my Fav too...I am trying your pizza pockets this weekend ! THANKS!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Wendy,

Sorry to leave such a random comment on your blog, but someone contacted me because of your reference to Hortense Tinkham (which, I agree, is a fabulous name!).

Apparently this woman knows Ms. Tinkham's son and he is interested about her artwork.

I guess she found your comment by googling the name...

At any rate, if you would like to respond to her, she left her contact information on Tollipop. Or email me and I will send you her information.

Thanks!

Kirsten

Wendy said...

Thanks Kirsten--I emailed her. :-)