Monday, February 9, 2009

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cake

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cake

1 3/4 cup boiling water
1 cup uncooked oatmeal (I use old-fashioned oats)
1 cup lightly packed brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup softened butter
2 extra large eggs
1 cup unsifted white flour
3/4 cup unsifted wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
1 pkg. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup chopped walnuts (I use about 1 1/2 cups)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Pour boiling water over oatmeal and let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes. Add brown & white sugar and butter to oatmeal. Mix well (until butter is completely blended in). Add eggs and mix well. Sift together flour, soda, salt and cocoa. Add flour mixture to oatmeal/sugar/butter/egg mixture. Mix well. Add half of the chocolate chip package to batter and mix. Pour batter into greased and floured (I just use Pam) 9 X 13 baking dish. Sprinkle nuts and remaining chocolate chips on top. Lightly press down with hands. Bake for 40 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool and enjoy. Goes perfectly with a glass of cold milk.

No comments: